Self storage is a convenient, inexpensive and safe way to store your belongings, and with a little advance planning life will be so much easier if you’re pro-active! Here are 7 packing and organizing tips we hope you’ll find useful.
1. It’s important to think about the types of boxes/containers you will use. Consider uniform sizes, two or three different box sizes only, as this makes stacking your boxes that much easier. Be sure your boxes are strong enough to hold 25-30 lbs.
2. To help you access specific boxes and belongings easier later either number or label all boxes and containers. If you are using boxes instead of plastic bins, label them on all 4 sides for easier identification.
3. Make up an inventory list of the items you’re packing including the corresponding numbers and labels on each box. Note on the list where you placed them inside the storage unit. Store this master list in a safety deposit box or safe place you won’t forget.
4. Fragile items should be wrapped in paper, bubble wrap or even towels, dish cloths and linens. (You can purchase specialized boxes with a dish packing system).
5. When packing up TV, stereo, computers or other electronic systems label your cords before you unplug them and make ‘notes for yourself’ about where they go so that when you go to use them again it’s not a nightmare to set them back up!
6. Furniture such as sofas and loveseats with flat sides can be stored on end to save floor space. Wrap table legs and chair legs in bubble wrap and wrap cushions in plastic and place on top of sofas.
7. Generally, don’t make your boxes so heavy that you can’t even lift or move them! A good idea is to use the larger boxes for lighter, bulkier items such as blankets and linens, and pack heavier items like books and electronics in smaller boxes.
For more tips on how to pack fragile and bulky items and/or to organize them in a storage unit contact Choice Storage at (403) 652-2552.