Pre-planning and good organization is definitely the key to getting the most benefit out of your self storage experience. Whether you will need access to your belongings on a regular basis while in storage or not, it is critical to consider the size of unit you will need and plan your storage space layout thoroughly.
For people who need to access to their belongings, think about a slightly larger unit so you can stack your items along either wall, leaving a path through the middle of the unit to walk down to locate and collect the box(es) you need.
For those who won’t require regular access, rent the smallest unit you need make the most of your organizing and stacking to maximize your available space.
Keep the following 10 tips in mind when considering your cost and space effectiveness:
- Make an inventory list of the items you plan to store.
- Think about the types of boxes/containers you will use. Consider uniform sizes in order to make stacking easy. If you are considering long term storage, you may want to consider clear plastic containers. Clear ones will require less or no labelling.
- Obtain boxes that are strong enough to hold 25-30 lbs. (Do not put too many heavy items in one box).
- If you are using boxes instead of plastic bins, label them on all 4 sides and number the boxes for inventory. It is a good idea to seal the boxes with packing tape.
- Place the items you will not need to access at the back and the ones you may need to access at the front.
- Stack heavier boxes on the bottom and lighter boxes on top.
- Place TV’s and other electronics in the rear of your unit.
- Furniture such as sofas and loveseats with flat sides can be stored on end to save floor space. Wrap cushions in plastic and place on top of sofas.
- Tables and furniture that have removable legs should be broken down to save space.
- Shovels, rakes, hoes and hoses can be stored together in empty trash cans. Stack extra cans inside each other.
Give us a call us at 403-652-2552 for help and advice about renting a unit and planning your space. We’d be delighted to be of service!