Last week we mentioned that pre-planning and good organization is key to getting the most benefit out of your self storage experience. This week we suggest 10 tips to maximize your rental unit’s cost and space effectiveness:
- Make an inventory list of the items you plan to store.
- Think about the types of boxes/containers you will use. Consider uniform sizes in order to make stacking easy. If you are considering long term storage, you may want to consider clear plastic containers. Clear ones will require less or no labelling.
- Obtain boxes that are strong enough to hold 25-30 lbs. (Do not put too many heavy items in one box).
- If you are using boxes instead of plastic bins, label them on all 4 sides and number the boxes for inventory. It is a good idea to seal the boxes with packing tape.
- Place the items you will not need to access at the back and the ones you may need to access at the front.
- Stack heavier boxes on the bottom and lighter boxes on top.
- Place TV’s and other electronics in the rear of your unit.
- Furniture such as sofas and loveseats with flat sides can be stored on end to save floor space. Wrap cushions in plastic and place on top of sofas.
- Tables and furniture that has removable legs should be broken down to save space.
- Shovels, rakes, hoes and hoses can be stored together in empty trash cans. Stack extra cans inside each other.
If you have any questions or need advice about renting a unit and planning your space, give us a call us at 403-652-2552. We’re here to help.